Who we are
Yang’at Community Development Organization, formerly Girl Child Potential Sensitization Group (YANG’AT), is a local community-based non-governmental organization. The organization was formed in the year 1999 by a group of college educated Pokot Women. Pokot is a local community in Kenya.
Yanga’t encourages Pokot girls to pursue education and other co-curriculum activities that will free them from the chains of oppressive and dehumanizing ethnic and cultural traditions like:
– Gender discrimination against girls and women
– Female genital mutilation (FGM)
– Early child marriages
– Forced marriages & rape
– Ignorance & negligence
– Wife battering & wife inheritance
Yang’at means “care” in the local Pokot language. Hence, the organization broadly addresses issues of water, education, health, and sustainable environment. The organization envisions a community that value all children irregardless of their gender. It strives to provide improved access to water that will allow communities engage in; economic activities, allow girls get better schooling, and offer women with the opportunity to engage themselves in socio-economic activities that gradually improves the living standards of the community in general. Among the founders of the organization was the late Debora Katina.
VISION & MISSION
“The vision statement is to be a leading organization in promoting positive community transformation”.
“To empower communities through promotion of education, livelihood support and facilitating access to water and Health services”.
- High poverty level among majority of parents therefore they cannot pay School levies needed in Schools (boarding facilities).
- Lack of enough teaching staffs in rural Schools especially female teachers who can be role models for the girls.
- Negative culture due to socialization that makes the community not value education
– To facilitate access to clean water and improved sanitation.
– To promote education for all in Pokot.
– To promote health services to the entire community.
– To enhance the institutional capacity of Yang’at.
– Transparency & Accountability
– Team Work
– Efficiency & Effectiveness